Saturday, February 24, 2018

Leadership Summit Lauren Newell Leiser

     I did my leadership summit with Lauren O'brian and Katherine Manning.  We both facilitated on the same date, and we thought that would be a good group to bring together for this summit.  During my time with Lauren and Katherine, we discussed the FoR, activity ideas, and narrowed down topics for our group facilitations.

I had picked MOHO and PEO as my FoR's for Health Management and Maintenance, and at the time I had not decided on physical activity for my group session.  Thus we spent our time brainstorming on how to fit all of health management and maintenance within an hour group session.  After talking to Katherine and Lauren, I realized that narrowing down my topic may be in my best practice because trying to work on sleep, stress, mental health, physical health, and nutrition in an hour would be too much for myself as the facilitator and for my group members.  We discussed doing a questionnaire for my protocol, but I could not find online a good holistic questionnaire for physical activity, and I wanted the group members to leave feeling empowered and not bad about themselves from my group session. Thus I opted for no questionnaire.  I as well gave suggestions to Lauren to have each member go around and verbally communicate their stress levels at the beginning of her session and I told Katherine that a questionnaire or inventory for her session may be a good idea.  Katherine's session was over leisure and Lauren's was over stress management.  My protocol was in the baby stages when we met, so I never shared with them the activities I did for my group facilitation.

     Ultimately, I found this to be a rich experience.  I enjoyed hearing about what my peers ideas were for leading their group activities, and it really helped me to look at FoR's through another students lens.  I appreciated the girls time and honesty as I was developing my protocol and feel like it helped me form a productive and successful group facilitation for the other group members.  I would recommend keeping the leadership summit for future students, and also like that you both provided us with time during class to meet together for this summit if needed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment