Thursday, April 20, 2017

The Mighty blog post session 9A

      "I do not know what it’s like to be able to interact naturally and un-self-consciously, but others do not know what it’s like to experience music the way I do, to hear the sounds of instruments dividing and subdividing into unique universes of soundlets, all separate yet simultaneously coalescing together into a larger whole, and then seeing those sounds turn to images in one’s mind."- Max Chis 

     I pulled this quote from the blog post, What Does 'Disability' Really Mean?  Written by Max Chis, from the site The Mighty.  I LOVE this blog/story Chris wrote.  I admire how he is raw, but purposeful with his words.  He is vulnerable, but for the benefit for others to grow and gain insight of the word 'disabled'. Chris might be a person which happens to have a disability, but look at all of the beauty Chris experiences.  The above quote is one of the many I found to be inspiring, and would love to hear and see what Chris sees one day.  

     Are any of us really 'normal'?  I know that some days I just want to lay in the bed all day watching Netflix and eating donuts without seeing a soul.  Some days I feel as if I can conquer the world.  I find it incredibly important for developing occupational therapy students and therapists to find a way to connect with those that do happen to have a disability.  How?  It is quite simple ---> I think none of us are normal, we just do not have it displayed outwardly.  If all of our worries, insecurities, stress, secrets, fears, and down right ugly actions/thoughts we can have were outwardly displayed, I surely think that we would see that we are all the same; but oh so unique.  That is the beauty of Chris's message to all that care to read his words.  They breath, crave milkshakes, love someone to tell them how nice their hair looks, and might just want to drink a beer with their buddies just like the rest of us messed up 'normal' folks.  Just because a person has a disability does not classify them as aliens or even different.  I do hope to teach others and remind myself beyond the clinic that we are all strange, and that we really can all connect on some level. We all have our mess.  If our ears for one day could experience what Chris's do, we might be able to understand and hit the brink of joy he has.  The world is a different place when your not what society says you should be.  This is why Chris inspires me as a person and a future therapist.  I will never hear the same music Chris does, but I can surely provide Chris with the stage to lead the rest of us in singing the same song he hears with us. 

We Judge One Another: Removing the Stumbling Block:

No comments:

Post a Comment