Thursday, March 16, 2017

Flow until you grow

Today I teared up a bit when I read of the authors experience with her mother.  All I could think of is my sweet momma or daddy and how I always have said I want to treat every client just like they are my own parent.  At first I was angry/disappointed with the therapist's decision to focus on home improvements or sponge bathing.  However then I realized, the therapist failed because of either a lack of knowledge that our profession is client centered, or that they forgot to look at this sweet momma as a person holistically and instead used a reductionist approach.

Once her daughter (also an occupational therapist) spoke with her mother (Ann) about which occupations she was wanting to work on, the intervention went from being frustrating and disappointing to empowering and confidence boosting.  The therapist used an acquisitional frame of reference.  This frame of reference uses encouragement of the client from the therapist, shows no judgement and full acceptance,  uses the belief that if the client believes they can then they will improve, FoR utilizes a skill is a skill and eventually through "practice makes perfect" the client will achieve their skills again.  This was a neat FoR because I feel like it uses client centered therapy, and ultimately I feel as if it's rooted in encouragement.  I hope that I am never someone's occupational therapist that treats them like just another "case" but instead take the time to ask them what is important to them and how I can put a big smile back on there face.  I have always loved making others smile, and I have known every day since I have started school here that I found the way I can give someone a smile straight from their soul every day of my life, until I need an ot as well.

My favorite model that we have covered in the last few days is the KAWA model.  I enjoy that it looks at a person's spirituality and balance.  Above, Ann's spirit was broken and her balance that she used to be able to do everything was as well effected.  Ann's water in her river had been disturbed, her house was a bit of a wall and floor.  Her daughters helped knock down those walls and doors by moving her stuff from upstairs to downstairs.  Anne was experiencing many rocks, including having a hard time toileting, dressing her self, and even bathing.  Ann's driftwood was being an independent woman.  She seemed from the article a positive, kind, and willing client which helped her to pick up her driftwood and move it out of the way.   Once Ann's daughter came in and helped change Ann's outlook, the therapist was capable of tapping into the spaces of the obstructions.  Ann's occupational performance was effective because they focused on her as a the river (whole person) which resulted in a calm flow of water once the therapy ended.  Such a fun model, speaks right to my soul!

1 comment:

  1. This is an exceptionally well thought-out and insightful post, Lauren! My favorite quotes: "... ultimately I feel as if it's rooted in encouragement" and " I hope that I am never someone's occupational therapist that treats them like just another "case" but instead take the time to ask them what is important to them and how I can put a big smile back on there face."

    I love your OT heart!

    ReplyDelete